WESTERN CAPE – The continued strategic deployment of resources and heightened visibility along entry and exit routes of the Western Cape once again yielded positive results with the confiscation of two unlicensed firearms during Safer Festive Season operations in the Southern Cape.

On Wednesday, 05 January 2022 at about 12:45 Rural Flying Squad members conducted a vehicle check point on the N12 near Oudtshoorn where they stopped a Volkswagen Caddy. The members proceeded with a search of the vehicle when they found a Star pistol and 10 rounds of ammunition on board. The 22-year-old driver was unable to produce a licence and account for his possession thereof. He was subsequently arrested on charges of possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

In the meantime, last night 05 January 2022 at about 23:00 members attached to the Rural Flying Squad were strategically deployed on the N2 when they received a tipoff about a vehicle involved in possible illicit activities. They later spotted the vehicle, Ford Ranger bakkie, near the entrance to The Crags just outside Plettenberg Bay with two occupants on board. A search of the vehicle ensued when the vigilant members confiscated a 7.65 pistol with an empty magazine. Police proceeded to arrest the driver and his passenger.

The suspects, aged 22 and 31, are facing a charge of possession of an unlicensed firearm each.

All arrested suspects remain in police custody. They will appear in the respective courts once charged.

Lieutenant General Thembisile Patekile, Western Cape Provincial Commissioner, thanked the members for their commitment to the policing priorities of the province. He said: “Unlicensed firearms in the hands of criminals remain a major threat to the safety of Western Cape communities. The Festive Season operations are part of concerted efforts to rid communities of illicit firearms and drugs. The strategic deployment of resources would be maintained during this phase of the holiday period to ensure that the public are and feel safe, even whilst returning to their destinations.”

Source: South African Police Service